Thursday, August 6, 2015

Paddle board Yoga

It's been a few days but I can't stop thinking about my first paddle board experience. On Sunday, Thiele and I ventured out with some friends to do paddle board yoga. Yes, paddle board yoga. First, we stopped at a little tiki bar on the lake and ate fried food with beer so clearly we thought everything through. When we arrived at the launch point our instructor asked if we had any water we wanted to bring. Appearing macho we said "water, I don't think we'll need any water". We were on a lake after all...

Our adventure started off as you'd expect, signing waivers and listening to safety instructions, boring! After the lecture finished we had to walk our board out into the lake (like a surfer) then climb aboard and get a bit offshore before standing up. Our course began in the largest open section of Lake Lanier so needless to say there was a touch of chop on the water. Having grown up around water and water sports I thought "ah it's relatively flat". I made it to the standing position proudly and pressed forward. 

I learned quickly that boaters find it quite funny to intentionally create waves for those of us on paddle boards. I did NOT survive the first round of boat waves but instead gracefully flew into the water and shot my board like a torpedo into my wife. Somehow she survived the collision. There was one other fall and then I began to get the feeling of stability. 

At this point we were on our way toward the two mile point where we would stop and do some yoga. Thiele and I are competitive, almost to a fault, so we found ourselves about 100 yards ahead of our pack. It was so good to get some alone time with her on the open water. Whenever we can get into nature alone I feel like it's a cleansing moment for our souls and the lake couldn't have been more inviting. The sun was tapering off into the western sky and the temperature had cooled down. It was just us, our boards, and the instigating boaters. It was perfect. 

After we all reached a little cove around the two mile mark the namaste stuff started to happen. I've done yoga but never on a floating board in the middle of a lake. I must say that everyone needs to experience it at least once in their lives. It's exceptional. There's always a struggle for balance in yoga but it's magnified on water. It's the one kind of yoga where I think laughing is encouraged. At one point I looked up to see my bride in full position but unaware that she had drifted and was about to go under a dock! For reasons such as these I believe laughing is permitted and because laughing also cleanses the soul. We all engaged the best we could in various poses then set back toward the park. 

On the way back I didn't want the trip to end so I slowly started letting myself fall toward the outskirts of the group. Looking in every direction and soaking it all in. It's amazing how quickly the human body can adjust to surroundings and how muscles learn different ways of functioning. When we reached the open water and the chop it didn't faze any of us. We had learned to stay standing even in the wake of speed boats. It was a feeling of victory and reminder of our ability to conquer challenges. Dad spoke to me and gently reminded me of the strength he has given each of us. 

We finally made it back having survived a four mile paddle and yoga! The sun had disappeared below the tree line and the cicadas were singing their tune. Thiele and I cruised home, laughing and recounting our last few hours. It was refreshing, uniting and healing. Another reminder that every day were being made new. 


No comments:

Post a Comment