Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Midnight Uno Sessions

Have you had the chance to sit outside a closed door where laughter is erupting through the cracks? Between each giggle I can hear the popping of a childhood favorite, the game of Trouble. As I sit downstairs watching TV and listening to my daughter and her cousin I'm thrilled by the memories they're making. My cousins and I had so many opportunities to bond and I love witnessing my kids do the same. 

Some of my favorite memories are playing Uno around my Aunt Mary's dining room table at 2:00am with my cousins. By that point we had already indulged in pizza, Greek salad, and at least one Starwars movie. Between hands my cousins constantly fought over which New Kid on Block was each of their boyfriends. The weekends were epic! 

As a parent I think one of our biggest desires is to share the things that have been meaningful in our own lives with our kids. To facilitate opportunities to experience the same joys and store up similar memories. It's been so long since those Friday nights but I still remember the conversation, the laughter and most of all the real relationships. I can see our younger selves embracing life and sharing it with those we loved. As an adult we long for these types of interactions but we're so distracted. 

Technology has enhanced so many aspects of our lives. It has revolutionized how we engage but if we're honest it has also set us back. Late night board games have taken a back seat to constant scrolling and nonexistent conversation. So as I listen to the nonstop laughter of my daughter and my niece I pray that we would wise up. That I (and you) would be smart enough to prioritize and daring enough to miss out on our FB news feed. It seems risky but what if I wake up one day and realize that there is a thirty year gap between my last real engagement.

How many potential memories are we missing each day? How are our hearts being altered in a way that doesn't build us up? We were meant to be together. To laugh with someone else and to shake our fists as the other person exclaims "Uno". We were designed for relationships. I'm thankful for my children, who consistently bring me back to things that have long term value. 

Now for the irony of posting this on social media...

No comments:

Post a Comment