Monday, November 17, 2014

Larger than life

For all the kids we decorate a birthday chair with balloons and celebrate first thing in the morning. This morning our youngest (I'm not counting belly yet!) entered the great and marvelous age of two. Unlike any of the Generous kids before him he has taken an obsession with Elmo. Good or bad it is his passion for the moment so tied to his breakfast chair was a giant Elmo balloon. "Melmo" he screamed with excitement this morning when I brought him upstairs. As soon as he could reach the balloon he began exuberantly swatting his dear friend (we'll coach him on proper treatment of friends later). 

Watching him light up with excitement over something so simple was a great way to start the day. Too often in my own life I don't even notice the little things that offer a smile or a memory. Driven to get things done and pressed by the cultural norms of our society I overlook the numerous joys right in front of me (back to the birthday boy). 

Azariah is our Georgia peach. Two years ago Thiele and I were saddled up in an ATL hospital watching desperate housewives of Atlanta (her choice). A new state and a new son. He came out larger than life (no seriously he was almost 10lbs)! If you have kids you know the moment I'm describing. It's a feeling that cannot be explained; excitement, awe, adoration. Now after two years of real life I'm reminded how many times we're offered the same moments. The first coo, the first poo, the first laugh and the first word. In each of these experiences if we're paying attention we have the opportunity to experience so much joy. I'm so thankful for how Azariah and my other kids keep teaching me these life lessons. Gems of hope and purpose. My kids inspire me each day and this morning I'm reminded of the their influence in my day to day. 




No comments:

Post a Comment